Power To Recover - SafeHaven
What is Power to Recover®?
Power to Recover® is designed to help individuals recover from the psychological and emotional impact of the traumatic event they have experienced. Supported by their own personal trauma coach, the online programme takes someone from being overwhelmed and helpless to being empowered and active in their own recovery.
Power to Recover® is also an effective trauma-education course for people who may be regularly exposed to traumatic circumstances, such as emergency services personnel, and who would like to increase their knowledge and resilience in order to better manage trauma when it occurs, for both themselves and those around them.
Power to Recover® is made up of 5 modules comprising of audio recordings and simple, tried and trusted, recovery strategies for you to use. It is delivered in bite-sized steps, which you can complete at your own pace.
Who is the programme for? – this is for people who:
- Want to work independently and be self-sufficient and would prefer to take control of their own recovery, with the option of some specialist support to guide them along the way.
- Prefer to work from the comfort and privacy of their own home, or wherever it’s convenient for them.
- Are unable/don’t want to access traditional talking therapies.
- Are comfortable working on a computer.
- Want to be able to access support in a simple format as, when it suits them and in a matter of minutes.
How can it help?
Power to Recover® offers support and guidance to help individuals understand and move on from the emotional/psychological reactions that often include:
- Feelings of anxiety, anger or being on high alert
- Thoughts and pictures about what happened coming into their head when they don’t want them to
- Avoidance of places and things that remind them of what happened – stopping them from getting on with their life
Why moving on from trauma reactions can be a struggle
When people experience an event that is shocking and unexpected, the body and brain automatically start a survival process. This is a reflex response to threat. After the event, the body and brain need to go through another process whereby
- The brain’s alarm system is returned to normal
- Sense is made of what happened
However, this is not always a straightforward process and sometimes recovery gets stuck. And the worst part can be often people blame themselves. Unfortunately the more a person blames themselves the harder it is to change.
The course is designed to enable a person to work with their natural survival response, rather than against it, enabling the recovery process to become faster and easier.
Here are some comments other people have made about Power to Recover®
Paul* works off-shore on an oil rig and couldn’t access face to face support after an incident in his life – “This programme was really helpful. I could use it after my shift ended, in the middle of the night, early morning …. whenever it suited me. It made me realize I wasn’t going mad!”
Fiona* hadn’t wanted to seek face to face therapy – “I’m a very self-sufficient person and like to be independent. Power to Recover® helped me keep that independence and do things my way with the right tools. At the time, my concentration was really bad and the programme allowed me to listen as much as I needed and as many times as it took. So the information really sank in. Thank you. I can’t tell you what a difference it made”
*not their real names
If you feel that Power to Recover® is something you would like to access, the next step is to call us on 0161 635 3522. After an initial assessment we will assign you a specialist coach who will make contact to get you underway with the programme.